Collaborate with other Boy Scouts and Discovery Place Science educators to earn your Weather Merit Badge.
- Capacity is limited and Scouts must register in advance to participate. Scouts may register for a maximum of two workshops during this weekend program.
- Scouts should gather at 6th St. Admissions to meet their counselor before the workshop.
- Scouts attending morning and afternoon workshops may bring a lunch. Food also will be available for purchase at Curio City Kitchen.
- Parking fee for Discovery Place Science Parking Deck and Museum admission is not included.
- Discovery Place is not able to offer a refund if a Scout is not able to attend. However, if a Scout is not able to attend, he may notify Discovery Place of his situation and either recruit a Scout to take his place or ask Discovery Place to apply his paid fee toward registration for a future merit badge program.
Scouts, before your workshop, print and read the Weather Merit Badge requirements. Complete requirements 1, 2, 4 and 6 and bring written results to class. Research cloud types for requirement 5. Learn about weather instruments and write out definitions of wind vane, anemometer, rain gauge, hygrometer, barometer and thermometer. Prepare an outline of a talk on a weather-related topic, such as lightning safety, flash flood safety, tornado safety or acid rain; know and explain weather warnings and weather watches. Email a copy of your outline to Weather Merit Badge counselor Riana Clark at RianaC@discoveryplace.org to obtain review and approval.
Be sure to bring your signed blue card to the workshop!