Experience an ocean you never imagined as Discovery Place Science presents Unseen Oceans
Explore the marvelous, alien world living below the sunlit surface of our planet’s oceans. Twenty-first century technology has given scientists new tools for exploring the mysterious depths below, revealing a world previously hidden to humans.
What you’ll see in Unseen Oceans:
- Mysterious Drifters – Plankton are tiny, unimaginably numerous creatures that mostly drift with the currents and are some of the most vital organisms to life on earth. See if you can spot the zooplankton that allegedly inspired the design of the monster from Alien.
- Striking Fluorescents – Glowing in shades of red, orange and green, specialized lights and cameras have helped scientists uncover the fluorescence of undersea animals in a world remarkably different from what we experience on land.
- Underwater Giants – Get up close and personal with some of the largest creatures on Earth—both past and present.
- Secret Landscapes – See models from the hidden parts of our ocean, including the Hudson Canyon— a spectacular underwater feature just 100 miles from New York City.
- Deep Sea Submersibles – Journey deep into the ocean in an immersive theater presentation then take a seat inside a scale model of the Triton submersible to see what it’s like inside.
- The Future – The next generation of ocean scientists is making fascinating discoveries—find out more about these individuals on the frontline of ocean exploration.