Uncover the differences between rocks and minerals and learn about the rock cycle. Test different mineral properties, uncover how they are formed and take a look at Museum fossils.
Major Concepts to Be Explored:
- Participants will explore the properties of rocks and minerals.
- Participants will learn about the different kinds of fossils.
4.E.2.1, 4.E.2.2, 4.P.2.2, 4.P.2.3
Goals of the Class:
Provide an understanding of the differences between rocks and minerals
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the difference between rocks and minerals
- Understand different properties of minerals
- Test minerals in order to identify them
- Compare different types of fossils
- Explore the rock cycle
Methods and Activities:
- A Discovery Place educator will engage participants with an exciting mix of demonstrations, hands-on experiments and eye-catching visual displays.
- Students will work in cooperative groups to explore different properties of minerals and identify minerals based on those properties.
- Students will explore the rock cycle and understand how they are formed.
Mineral, Rock, Igneous, Sedimentary, Metamorphic, Luster, Cleavage, Fossil
- Approximate set-up and clean-up time is 30 minutes before and after program.
- Program will need to remain set up and secured from students for the entire day if multiple programs are booked.
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grade 4
- Duration: 50 minutes
$14 per student (includes Museum admission)
- Minimum 15 students