Introduce the concept of biotechnology by exploring the different facets of the industry through companies located in the Carolinas and how a multidisciplinary approach is necessary in the field.
Major Concepts to Be Explored:
- Participants will learn about biotechnology, including electronics used in medical devices as well as the materials selected to create medical devices and pharmaceuticals.
- Participants will use hand-on activities to explore the concept of bacterial transformation.
8.L.2, 7.L.2, Bio 3.3, HS-LS1-1, HS-LS2-8, HS-LS4-6
Goals of the Class:
Participants will engage in hands-on activities to examine the different components of biotechnology and companies located in the Carolinas.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify different components of the biotechnology industry.
- Examine different components of individual biotech products.
- Investigate the role of the Carolinas in supporting the biotechnology industry.
Methods and Activities:
- A Discovery Place Science educator will utilize hands-on activities to examine different biotech products and services.
- Participants will be asked to work in groups to investigate different biotech products, how they are made, research that is put into the products and how the Carolinas support the industry.
Biotechnology, biomedical engineering, Carolinas, pharmaceuticals, materials science, electronics, bacteria, genetic engineering, research and development
Call to Book704.372.6261 x300
- Grades 8 - 12
- Duration: 50 minutes
$18 per student (includes Museum admission)
- Minimum 15 students