Join the movement and build lasting leadership skills with Museum professionals
As part of our Youth Development Program, students engage with the science museum industry to build critical personal and professional skills that will support their post-high school aspirations. Participants will be in the action in early childhood programs, informal science education, the non-profit space and much more. The program provides four main benefits:
- Opportunities to be immersed in STEM and develop skills through STEM-based experiential learning experiences.
- College and career readiness.
- Development of a strong social capital network.
- Cultivation of long-term relationships between a diverse group of students and industry professionals.
Now accepting applications for Apprentices (students in grades 9-12).
Apprentices gain experience in customer service and learn how to engage the public in floor and lab programming, science demos and rainforest and aquarium interpretation.
Apprentices must complete 100 hours of service over a maximum of 9 months. Summer and school year sessions are available at Discovery Place Science, Discovery Place Nature and Discovery Place Kids-Huntersville.
The Youth Development Program at Discovery Place is for grades 9-12 and has limited availability.
- To apply to be an Apprentice, click "apply today" and complete the application by Friday, September 24. You may apply to only one Museum.
- Ask two non-relatives, from your current school, church or other extracurricular organizations, to complete the recommendation form on your behalf. Recommendation forms must be submitted through the Discovery Place website by Friday, September 24.
- Applicants will be reviewed by the Youth Development Program Manager. Participants will be selected based on a completed application, two recommendations and an interview. Interview dates will be sent at the close of the application period.