Taking your little one to a movie doesn’t have to be daunting
Discovery Place Science
Want to take your preschooler to a movie but not sure he will make it through that two-hour feature film? A movie at the IMAX® Dome Theatre at Discovery Place Science may be your best bet. Here’s why:
- No previews – Sitting through 20 minutes of previews and commercials before a film even begins is hard enough as an adult. For children, it’s excruciating. At the IMAX Dome Theatre, the film gets started when the lights go down, meaning you will be well into the film before your little one can even contemplate being too bored to sit still.
- Films are only 40-45 minutes – When it comes to getting a child to stay put, two hours feels daunting and darn near impossible. IMAX Dome Theatre films typically run 40-45 minutes, a much more doable timeframe for most young minds to stay focused.
- Morning showtimes – There’s nothing like trying to get a four-year-old to sit still and engage in something when he is a) tired or b) famished. Lucky for you, the IMAX Dome Theatre has multiple showtimes, including Monday-through-Saturday showings at both 10:00 and 11:00 a.m. This provides a great opportunity to catch a film (and even lunch) before heading home to tuck your tiny tot in for a nice, perfectly timed nap.
- Captivating footage on a dome screen – If you’ve never experienced an IMAX film, you are missing out. The dome theatre at Discovery Place Science is one of only 40 IMAX theatre locations in the country, and it puts movie-goers smack dab in the middle of the film. Children and adults alike will enjoy looking up, down and all around to take in the beautifully-shot footage featured in just about any IMAX film.
- Free parking in Uptown – If you are coming just to see an IMAX film, parking is on us in the Discovery Place Parking Deck. Can’t beat that!
- Affordable tickets – It’s a tough ask to spend upwards of $15-20 per ticket for a movie your young child may or may not make it through. He could doze off part way through – a pricey nap, for sure – or you may have to leave early because his tantrum couldn’t wait. It’s an expensive risk to take, but tickets to IMAX films at Discovery Place Science are a lot less expensive – $9 for children ($10 for adults) if you come solely to see the movie and just $5 per person if you are a Member or you are adding the movie on to an all-day admission to the entire Museum.
- Make a day of it – You can choose to come just to see the IMAX film, or you can make a day of it by purchasing all-day Museum admission. Wind down from your Museum visit at one of the final IMAX movie showings or kick things off with a morning show before heading into the rest of the Museum for hands-on fun.